Across the globe, entrepreneurs and business leaders are marked by their enviable managerial skills and intellectual capacity which they demonstrate. No wonder when they cough everyone pays apt attention: that split-second action of opening their lips could be some kind of code unlocking the next billion dollar opportunity.
In recent times, Aliko Dangote has been the strongest, most successful and even the richest in Africa. many still wonder how this man has managed to attain such height in business and life despite the deplorable conditions in Africa.
Does he have two heads?
Is he lucky?
Of course not?
Passion and determination to do what others have not thought of or afraid to do have taken him there.
When it comes to business lessons and advice, no one is more qualified than our own very Africa richest man, Aliko Dangote.
I will be sharing with us his top 20 inspirational quotes for business and life…
1. I built a conglomerate and emerged the richest black man in the world in 2008 but it didn’t happen overnight. It took me 30 years to get to where I am today. Youths of today aspire to be like me but they want to achieve it overnight. It’s not going to work. To build a successful business, you must start small and dream big. In the journey of entrepreneurship, tenacity of purpose is supreme.
2. Africa’s risks are mainly perceived and not real. Unfortunately for us in Africa we are not really very good at telling our own story. But things are changing and people are beginning to understand that things are going very, very well.
3. I enjoy myself a lot but I derive more joy in working. I believe in hard work and one of my business success secrets is hard work. It’s hard to see a youth that will go to bed by 2am and wake up by 5am. I don’t rest until I achieve something.
4. Manufacture, don’t just trade. There is money in manufacturing even though it is capital intensive. To achieve a big breakthrough, I had to start manufacturing the same product I was trading on; which is commodities.
5. In whatever you do, strive to be the best at it.
6. Let me tell you this and I want to really emphasize it…nothing is going to help Nigeria like Nigerians bringing back their money. If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria. Let us put our heads together and work.
7. If you don’t have ambition, you shouldn’t be alive.
8. Every morning when I wake up, I make up my mind to solve as many problems, before retiring home.
9. To succeed in business, you must build a brand and never destroy it. One competitive advantage I had when I ventured into manufacturing was my brand “Dangote,” which I diligently built in the course of my trading commodities.
10. Nigeria is one of the best-kept secrets.
11. After my death, I want to be remembered as Africa’s greatest industrialist.
12. Don’t kill the competition. Competition is healthy for businesses. It keeps you the entrepreneur on your toes.
13. ‘If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria. Let us put our heads together and work’’.
Share with us, which one inspires you most? My favorites are 4 and 13
image credit: newaccra.com